Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Update on the half-dead viburnum

I wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions about the problematic viburnum in my last post. Here's where I stand at the moment:

Summer Snowflake clearly heard us talking about her, because she started doing this:

Tease!

and this:

Wow, that's a terribly fuzzy picture. Sorry!

I also cut into her, per many suggestions, and she's alive and green.

But the fact remains that she looks terrible and since I'm all about appearances, I don't want a dead-looking bush in such a prominent position. This weekend she's getting the old heave-ho, I think. I think. Do you hear that, Summer Snowflake? Now's the time to bust out some flowers!

In truth, if she survives the apocalyptic storm and hail that's coming our way tomorrow, I might take it as a sign to see what she does for a few more weeks, at least until I make up my mind about what bush to purchase to replace her.

In other odd news, I turned from photographing the viburnum and saw this really strange leaf on my backyard table. Oh hey, just kidding, it's actually some cooked lasagna noodles. I think it's J's attempt to feed Stanley, the one-eared squirrel. Either that or we're getting some freaking weird hail.


Appetizing!

3 comments:

  1. Now if you cooked the noodles and added ricotta and sauce, the squirrels might be interested. And if their not, I'll have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So she's not dead but she likely won't flower this year. V. 'Summer Snowflake' is a great shrub. Get her situated, mulched and keep her watered and see what happens in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sue on this one. I'm hoping for a stay of execution of the viburnum.

    ReplyDelete