Sunday, October 20, 2013

Autumn at Longwood Gardens

For Christmas last year, J got us a membership to Longwood Gardens. We're nearing the end of our membership year and decided to pop in again to see what was going on at this time of year (we do plan to renew). I am always amazed at how different the place looks depending on the season. The last time we were there, a month or two ago, it was really hot and pretty uncomfortable walking around in the sun. This time, I was taking it all in and reluctant to go indoors as outdoor time is now limited. I won't share all 92 pictures I took, but I would like to share two highlights - the borders on the Flower Garden Walk, which are always tremendously well done, and some autumnal shots.

Flower Garden Walk Borders
The plants on the Flower Garden Walk change with the seasons. They are added and removed and though it's not realistic, everything always looks amazing and nothing is dying (because dying plants are removed!). There are blocks of colors - blues and purples at first, then pinks and reds, oranges and yellows, and ending with white. I always find a plant or ten that I NEED RIGHT NOW in this section of Longwood.

Presented without many comments, as I didn't write down the names of most of the plants:



The purple plant, Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha) is one of my MUST HAVEs




This is by the vegetable gardens on the other side of Longwood

Autumn's show
In the spirit of stopping to look around and enjoy what is around me, I did my best to appreciate the bounty that autumn has to offer.



Sourwood



Smooth Sumac (Rhus glabra 'Laciniata')


Isn't it all so beautiful? Happy autumn!

2 comments:

  1. Great shots! We were up in your neck of the woods over Columbus Day weekend. I had hoped to visit Longwood Gardens but family obligations intervened. Too bad - it looks stunning. Mexican Bush sage is one of my favorites. It's supposedly hardy to zone 7 but don't count on it on the east coast. I grow it as an annual now, in pots. I adore it, and so do the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the color on that Sourwood, and the banana leaves are incredible!

    ReplyDelete