The allée is still a newer garden. It was started a tiny bit in 2012 but I dug out the rest in 2013. I've added plugs, divided plants, and last fall I bought about $200 worth of perennials and planted many of them there.
But still, when I walked through it this week I noticed that there are a lot of holes. No, not those kinds of holes. We're fortunate that in this part of the
city (and probably in many parts of the city), we don't have to deal
with moles or voles or other critters. The holes I have are embarrassing because there is nothing growing in them. I'm sure when I plant new flowers in late summer/early fall that I have a plan in my head but I didn't realize that the plan included leaving great spaces of nothingness.
I seem to have three categories of holes: Places where there's nothing because the plants around it get bigger; bare spaces left when bulb foliage dies; and then just pure poor planning on my part.
To wit: I know that I didn't plant a lot here because the ninebark will eventually be 8
feet across, though since that probably won't happen for several more
years, I need to plant and then move when the ninebark takes over.
And this is a tough spot because when the hibiscus gets going in July, it crowds out everything around it. So instead of giving it space, apparently I planted right next to it and then left blank spaces closer to the pathway. Awesome.
These next two pictures show problems that arise when the bulb foliage
finally dies. Then, there will be absolutely nothing in their places. I need to work on
some choreography in these spots.
Then there are the spaces of nothingness or just really bad planting on
my part. Like here - apparently I like to plant on diagonals.
Here next to the back door - I know it wasn't this empty last year. There were some Geranium 'Rozanne' and more than one Coreopsis but I guess it didn't come back. I planted some annuals there but I have to do something about this. It's a tough area, though, since it gets stepped on all winter when the bench isn't there to block that route.
Under my Eastern redbud (which had TWO flowers this year, by the way, an improvement over zero so it gets to stay), I planted two Amsonia hubrichtii last fall. I know they'll get larger but right now they're just sprigs and it looks so bare.
Or this - let me just bunch plants together around a hole of nothingness, and then plant some annuals in there to try to mitigate the damage.
As you can see, I have a lot of work to do. This mainly involves online shopping for new plants but may also include moving some things around and dividing some plants. For now, I'll just sit here in the a/c and window shop online.