Sunday, April 23, 2017

This is April

I'm starting to sound like a broken record - strange weather this winter meant strange bloom times for the garden. I'm afraid that this is the new normal.

My creeping phlox started blooming the last week of March. It usually blooms in May.


April 10

February was warm this year and then March was cold. Some of my tulips and daffodils that had buds on them when the cold weather hit came out a little wonky.



But these late-blooming daffodils made it and look lovely.




My eastern redbud, also known as the slowest developing tree in Philadelphia, had more blooms on it this year. Last year it had four. This year half of the tree was covered. I'm hopeful that next year we'll see the whole tree in bloom.

April 12


One of my peonies is already ready to bloom.




My zizia aurea is blooming for the first time.



I was certain my lilac bush was not blooming this year because of the warm-cold-warm cycle. It budded in late February/early March and has not done anything since then. Today, I noticed one of the buds opened so I think all systems are go.


 I love spring, but I'm not pleased with the drama that keeps coming with it. I'm looking forward to the more stable days of May.

4 comments:

  1. Spring is always dicey, in my experience. Basically you just throw up your hands and say "Whatever." It's interesting to read about your normal bloom times. We are at least a full month ahead of you in Raleigh. Creeping phlox is late February/early March here. Redbuds are late March, right after the Saucer Magnolias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned at least with some things (like seeds starting) to plan for the unexpected. I can't imagine seeing creeping phlox in February!

      Delete
  2. What fun would gardening be if every year was the same? My new garden isn't all that much colder than my old one but it takes a bit longer to warm up in the spring so I don't know what to expect. Keeps it interesting.

    ReplyDelete